• 2015 John Thompson “Legacy of a Dream” Award from Georgetown University awarded to CEO George A. Jones in recognition of his commitment to providing low-income DC residents with vital services.
• 2015 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award presented to Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Randi Abramson by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation.
• Washington Council of Lawyers 2015 Legal Services Award presented to Managing Attorney Rebecca Lindhurst in honor of her extraordinary contributions to the community as a lawyer at Bread for the City.
• 2014 Activist Award from the Washington Peace Center given to Aja Taylor for her work enacting DC’s Ban the Box legislation for returning citizens who are District residents.
• 2015 DC Rising Star Award presented by the National Law Journal to Senior Staff Attorney Taylor Healy for being a promising attorney under 40 years of age.
• 2014 Mayoral Proclamation issued by Mayor Vincent C. Gray to honor Legal Director Vytas V. Vergeer in recognition of his 20 years of work providing legal services to DC’s low-income residents.
• 2013 Jerrold Scoutt Prize awarded by the DC Bar to NW Legal Clinic Supervisor Su Sie Ju for her many years of service to DC’s more vulnerable families.
• 2012 DC Primary Care Association Unsung Hero Award given to Chief Operating Officer Jeannine C. Sanford for 20 years of dedicated service to Bread for the City.
• 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Client & Community Organizer Judy Hawkins by the Washington Peace Center for her years of advocacy work in the community.
• 2012 SmartCXO CFO Award presented to Chief Financial Officer Sekoe Murphy.
• 2011 EXCEL Award presented to Executive Director George A. Jones by the Center for Nonprofit Advancement for his achievements in nonprofit leadership.
• 2011 DC Primary Care Association Unsung Hero Award presented to nutrition consultant Sharon Gruber for her tireless efforts developing innovative new projects and providing nutrition education to the low-income population of DC.
• 2011 DC Hospital Association Haynes Rice Award presented to Executive Director George A. Jones for his longstanding commitment to serving DC’s medically vulnerable.
2010 and prior
• 2010 Jerrold Scoutt Prize awarded by the DC Bar to Legal Clinic Director Vytas V. Vergeer for his years of outstanding legal service to the low-income community.
• 2009 Pride in the Profession / Excellence in Medicine Award presented to Dr. Randi Abramson from the American Medical Association.
• 2008 Caregiver of the Year Award presented to Dr. Randi Abramson from the DC Primary Care Association.
• 2017 Human Rights Award presented to Bread for the City from the United Nations Association of the National Capital Area to recognize outstanding work to improve human rights. Click here to listen to CEO George Jones’ acceptance speech.
• 2017 Outstanding Achievement Award presented to Bread for the City from the Washington Lawyers Committee. At the Branton Awards Luncheon, WLC recognized Bread for the City attorneys who drove the important settlement in Torres v. District of Columbia. BFC recognized the need to bring legal action against DC Department of Human Services (DHS), identified clients who had been harmed by DHS’s lack of language access, and helped craft a settlement agreement that would best serve DHS’s customers. Pursuant to the settlement, DHS will make necessary changes to become language accessible.
• 2017 Purple Thursday certificate presented to Bread for the City by the DC Coalition Against Domestic Violence’s for standing in solidarity with survivors of domestic violence and for promoting safety, respect, and accountability.
• 2015 Profiles in Service Award presented to Bread for the City by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority for providing exceptional services that strengthen families and make a difference.
• The 2012 Technology Innovation Award presented to Bread for the City by 501cTech for our Medical Clinic’s implementation of its user-friendly Patient Portal.
• 2012 Design and Construction Award presented to Bread for the City by The District of Columbia Historic Preservation Office/Office of Planning for our Northwest Center expansion project.
• 2011 Washington Contractor Award for New Construction presented to Turner Special Projects for Bread for the City’s Northwest Center expansion project.
• 2004 Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management presented to Bread for the City from the Washington Post and Center for Nonprofit Advancement.
• 2003 Outstanding Agency of the Year presented to Bread for the City from Capital Area Food Bank