It’s That Time Again… Social Work Month 2019!!
It’s time to celebrate our social workers! March is Social Work Month. Every year at this time, we pause to thank our social workers, social work students, and our social services staff. The theme this year, per the National Association of Social Workers, is “Elevate.” At Bread for the City, our Social Services Department is always hard at work serving our clients — and this is our time to give them the shine and recognition they deserve.
When you hear the word social worker, you might think of a long-coat wearing, briefcase-packing professional, acting as an agent of the state. But what we do here couldn’t be further from what people have seen in the movies and on TV. Bread for the City offers a wide range of holistic services that we’ll be highlighting throughout this month on our blog. We’ll be talking about how our clients can make money moves and develop financial literacy; what a visit with one of our social workers might look like; how we support clients who are seeking employment; and how students of social work contribute to our practice — among other topics!
Until then, here’s a brief look at some of our social services:
- Rep Payee: Bread for the City’s social services staff helps manage the finances for over 880 DC residents.
- Pre-Employment Program: BFC’s job readiness training is a six week life skills and job readiness program that prepares job seekers to enter the workforce.
- SOAR: Bread for the City is the state lead in the SOAR model, which is a more efficient way for people to access SSI/SSDI benefits. BFC has a first-time application acceptance rate of 78%, which is well above the national average (28%) for individuals applying for benefits on their own!
- Women Empowered: Wellness Coordinators work with women primarily from Southeast DC to improve their mental and physical health, and support their life goals.
- Behavioral Health Care: In coordination with our Medical Clinic, Bread for the City offers a continuum of behavioral health services.
Our team works hard every day, hand in hand with our clients as they strive to meet their goals, whether those include obtaining affordable housing, finding employment, or simply being financially stable. Truly, Bread for the City’s Social Services program is the heart and soul of our holistic service model and we’re excited to celebrate the hard work of social workers this month!
Bread for the City’s Social Services work is made possible via support from the DC Department of Behavioral Health and supporters like you.